Thursday, February 9, 2012

Day 9


One time I came to BYU and I was a space case free bird who thought she might want to major in English but didn't really want to so held off on declaring her major. I took classes that were predominantly on the south end of campus as well as a tap dance class that required workout clothes and tap shoes. Thus, I rented a locker for $10 so I could put all my stuff there and not have to carry it around. I got the locker in the Brimhall building becuase it was right in the middle of all the other south-campus buildings where I had the rest of my classes.

I loved going into the Brimhall building because I thought it was clean and bright and open. I didn't even know what the building was really for, but I liked going there.

One day I walked in to go to my locker and a girl gave me a flier telling me to go sign up for some conferencing session that were taking place later that week. I thought it sounded nice and also thought I was looking for some direction in my life, so not even really knowing what they were for, I went and signed up for a conferencing session the next day. The secretary at the desk told me I would probably need to dress up a little since I would be talking with a bona fide professional.

That's when I realized I had gotten myself into a serious like future-investigating/job interview/counseling session situation, but I didn't want to back out and still thought it would be nice to have some direction. So the next day I went to the Brimhall building and met with this real live bona fide professional lady. I told her I had no idea what I was doing with my life.

So she told me what she had done with hers.

She said she was a public relations practitioner and she once helped Dairy Queen up their sales by putting on this little publicity shnike and it blew my mind becuase every word out of her mouth sounded like everything I always wanted to do but never knew there was a profession that actually dedicated itslef to doing such things.

So that summer I looked into this mysterious public relations business.

And now I am in the public realtions program and it is bliss. I LOVE IT.

This is me.



Studying in the Brimhall building, which building I love, for a test for my class in the PR major. Woot!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment: