Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Running, garden, reunions and more running!

Here are some of the places I go as of late: 





I used to be anti-taking-pictures-while-i'm-running, but mostly because I didn't have any way to take pictures so I would tell myself it was ok that no one would ever see what I was seeing because a picture wouldn't do it justice anyway. Well, that's still true, but now that I have a phone that has a good camera, it is kind of cool to see the beautiful places to which I run. Up canyons! Across mountains! Through valleys! It is joyous and definitely one of the highlights of my day.

Another highlight is our garden!


We planted last week and stuff is already sprouting up! Especially the corn! Watering it every day hearkens me back to my younger days and I am happy.  

But, I am sad because Lise is leaving Provo for good! She and Matt are venturing off into the real world and so the original roommates had a reunion/goodbye party. It was so fun and so good for my soul. We went to dinner and laughed and cried and talked our heads off until Zupa's kicked us out. 

Crazy that we just didn't even know each other a handful of years ago and we were just little freshmen with no idea of the adventures in our near future

And not much has changed in that regard, we still are all wandering around with no idea of the things that await us, but it is good to know that we can still be such dear friends. I must admit that I was kind of nervous meeting up with them--we haven't seen each other for so long, and definitely not for the sole purpose of just talking about our lives, but it was so great! Like not a day had passed since we were all living in Wyview sleeping on mattresses in the front room for months. 


You'll all be thrilled to know that Chels is engaged! Hooray! (And you'll also probably be thrilled to know that me and Lise did not plan that twin outfit business but were simply tickled that we could be twins since the twins were twins in real life.) 

Next thrilling adventure was the marathon! A year ago this weekend Billy and I went camping in the mountains and on our way down saw all these runners doing a marathon on these sweet trails. And we thus committed to run it the next year (this year) and so we signed up and trained a teeny bit and then the day arrived! Marathon day! My favorite kind of day!

The race was strictly trails and SO pretty. Billy and I started late so I felt an instant rush to catch everybody in front of me, but we got to run for maybe a half mile together haha. And then I ran and he ran and I called him a couple times during the race (another thing I usually am anti about, but I was so worried) But the worry was in vain! Billy did so good and loved every second!

The top of the marathon, which we reached by climbing such a gnarly hill

Billy came in just under 6, I came in just over 5. It was perfect! And Billy's mom came to greet us at the finish line! 

I did win my age 20-29 group, but it was not that big of a deal because I'm pretty sure I did not see a single lady under 30. The good women runners of this world are in their 30s. My winning days will end when I reach that decade, I believe. 

Anyway, marathon! I was so proud of Billy. I think since we talk so much about the 50 miler these days we forget to realize what a big deal 26 miles is, but Billy has run TWO marathons! That's huge! Most people don't even run one in their whole lives and he's probably not even done yet!

This weekend is Top of Zion! I will drive all over southern Utah and hopefully sleep a sufficient amount and I am excited!






4 comments:

  1. Amazing pictures. I wish I was tromping along behind you with Doug (at exactly half your speed though). I'm planting tomorrow! If my water starts flowing all over I'll just yell, "Dam it Krista, dam it". hahaha Those roommates are forever friends. Ya all look great!. And GREAT RUNNING another marathon! I love races!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Billy and kris!! Also, i love your raised garden beds!! A true sign of summer! You just need a cherry tree to read under.

    ReplyDelete
  3. way to go billy!

    and i like the beautiful running pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was great :) So happy we got to do that before we left

    ReplyDelete