Sunday, September 5, 2010

Ode to Provo Summertime

I loved summer term so much, one day I found myself composing this poem while walking home from work. I thought about submitting it to the Daily Universe (since another thing about summer at BYU is they never really have anything interesting in there) but then I figured it had too many words and then fall rolled around so i had to alter and add to make it what it is here. For your enjoyment. So enjoy!

Fall semester is back, here at the Y
And though it's quite joyous, one can't deny
That looking back on the summer term just gone
It's something to be missed, now that it's done

Though this place is unique all throughout the year
There's something magical about the summer here
From the pit of periodicals to the tres outside
Consider this an ode to Provo summertime

For what other time will you cross Brigham Square
And be maybe one of two souls there?
And when else at Taco Bell is there no line?
That only happens in the summer time

I think of it now, at the start of the fall
And i experience a little solitude withdrawal
Where the heck did these billions of people come from!?
What do they think they are doing in my kingdom!?

In the summer there's no threat at Harold's tables to share
For only six people ever enter that lair
All the rest simply commend those here for school
As they work or just play then head to the pool

Now it's like every cougar is inside the library
And of their bubbles and yours you have to be wary
Because if you share a table when you get there late
Next thing you know, you've got an awkward date

There's just so many things during summer in Provo
Which bring those present a joy overflow!
Hiking up Timp and boating on Utah Lake
Running, sunning, bumming, and homeworking forsake

For summer is simply so laid back and relaxed
The tests and assignments don't make you heavily taxed
I miss it now, asking of my fall syllabus
"14 weeks from now, I'm supposed to remember all this!?"

Still, surely in the summer there's those who do homework
And even though, with great heart, they all say, "let none shirk"
Sometimes the wheel to which they put their shoulder
Is made of rubber, can float the Provo, and is much colder

And besides such temptations, who can concentrate
With all those EFY kids seeking their eternal mates?
Alas, they represent Provo summer, sure enough
Feelin' the spirit and thinking it's love

And yes, let's talk romance, a summer element so fond
For one only need to pass the whimsical duck pond
To see the couples who started out as spring flings
All now anxiously engaged until August 14th

And what other time is hotter outside than in?
In summer we graven the image of air condition
All people avoid walking outside at midday
Or the honor code standards they might simply betray

These things start to fade as fall semester comes near
Weather cools down, scholars move up, and EFY disappears
There's homework and classes and the meat market's restocked
Plus taunting deadlines and papers by which to be mocked!

In the end, though I claim such undying adoration
For summer, I'll admit that the anticipation
I felt the night before fall semester got here
Reminded me that I'll take Provo any time of the year!

(or maybe at least for awhile until winter and its negative degree misery get here... but for the sake of the poem....)

Also,
I LOVE ELISE!!! I have never spent so much time with an individual who wasn't a Roy, Sarahho, or Karalee and it has been nothing but pure bliss!

One other thought:I took my purse to the opening football game and at half time they had a little presentation with Lavell Edwards and his All-American quarterbacks and they announced all the official people there to greet them and it was like..."Mr. Holmoe, athletic director (some applause), Mr. So and So somebody cool I don't remember (some applause), Pres. Samuelson (Lots of applause and cheers) and Elder Holland (The entire stadium broke into thousands of screaming little girls cheering for Elder Holland! It was the coolest thing ever!) " Anyway, I didn't think to take a picture with Elder Holland till after he was already walking away, but i pretended, for the sake of my adoring facebook lil white purse fans hahaha, like that was him in the red circle. You can too if you want, just thought i'd confess somewhere that that's not actually him.

Anyway, much longer post than I anticipated. Thanks for reading. And all is, as ever, ebullience!

3 comments:

  1. Ahhhhh! That was satisfying to my ode mind...A great end to a great start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmmm...i thought we commented. well, we both liked your ode. it's definitely provo!

    ally was here. (yes she typed those letters...with my telling her what to type)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahahahah Love it. Too true in every way.

    ReplyDelete