Saturday, May 14, 2011

A Blog for All Reasons

I just have all these great blog posts that I want to create, but instead of sitting down and creating them, I go out and have more adventures about which to blog! Fair trade, I figure. But here's the latest summation of all the joys squeezed into one blog:

1. Happy Mother's Day! I had an awesome poem thought up in my mind but figured, eh, insincere, so I put forth the real effort and called Mom instead. Also, I spent the day with the Carters and saw Momness in real action!

(These pictures are actually from the last two times the Carters have come up)

CJ and Eric found this sweet awesome wagon at Costco while they were here hahaha but we went to the MOA and there were just all these artsy people just dressed nicely and looking good and I was in public wearing my cow pants! Of all things! And CJ was just toting these three sleepy children around in a wagon! hahaha we were the sight, but it was joy joy joy!
CharlyAnn hahah looks frightened and I felt endeared to her for taking after me :)
Brooke! So cute! Cutest little pirate there ever was!
And the whole motley crew. I love when the Carters come!

2. Working full time is long and good
3. When I'm not working, it is nothing but play, play, play.

(So the pic for 2+3 is a picture of my office from the top of the Y. It's the brown building nestled in the middle of all those trees. Quaintness defined!)

4. I'M REALLY GOING TO TONGA! Check us out at 2ftprosthetics.org or 2ftprosthetics.blogspot.com.

5. I have this wonderful, joyous, freebird new roommmate named Becky Phelan and nothing less than the power of God's hand itself has placed us together in the same room. She is wonderful! She sings like a larken and plays the guitar and makes me laugh so hard but also helps me learn lessons about pure charity and courage. I'm tellin you people, God's Hand. Nothing less.

(This is a favorite, by the way)(Especially since she woke up that morning and said, "I know I should shower, but I'm having such a great hair day!" So i handed her those flowers and took a picture because I love her!)

6. THIS IS A GREAT STORY!!

You all remember Claire, crazy Claire, Charina's roommate Claire, bald Claire? (As if you could forget.) Well, she is getting married, and she invited me to her bridal shower. It was a movie-themed shower, and she assigned each of us a specific movie and encouraged us to use it as ideas for gifts if we needed them.


My movie was Home Alone (what does that imply, that I'm some hooligan kid running around by herself but scaring people off regardless? I don't know.) Anyway, this was my gift to Claire:
Are you curious?

I was trying to think what to get her and I obviously first thought of aftershave and then i thought of a toothbrush and then I thought of just giving up and writing her a poem, but then I was talking with my wild roommate Kim and funnily threw out that I should get Claire a tarantula. Hahah, like, wouldn't that be wild if I actually did!? But i forgot it was Kim and we are both such wildheads that we were like, "Hey, wait a second... that would be awesome if I actually did!!!"

You would not believe how accessible tarantulas are in Provo. Call up Jays Jungle- yep, they've got 'em. 14.99. Call up Petco- yep, they've got em. 8.99!!! But, they were out of tarantulas (weird. Being out implies they are an item in demand. Who buys tarantulas?) So we headed to Jay's Jungle (Shout out to Orion, who used to work there) and there they were!! Rose Haired Tarantulas for $14.99!! I went in on the fence thinking maybe I would buy one if I just did, but once my brain caught hold of the gloriousness of not only buying a tarantula, but buying it to give, and not only to give, but to give to claire, and not only to give to Claire, but to give it to her as a bridal shower gift, I knew I would not come out less empty handed than I went in (which was with my tupperware and lid with air holes poked in with a key haha).

And i did not come out empty handed!

I BOUGHT A TARANTULA!!!!!
Just go ahead and zoom in on that guy, OH MY WORD. It was a real live tarantula. The guy at the store told us to just tap its butt to get it to move (of course) and to just put a sponge in there and feed it crickets every two weeks or so and not to worry if its butt started to go bald, becuase if it gets stressed it starts to flick hair off its butt. ("So what makes it stressed?" "Oh, anything really. It's probably stressed right now")

Anyway, I bought it. And i wrapped it up. And i took it the shower. And I placed it precariously among the other gifts. ("Just.. be careful." "Oh, what, is it fragile?" "Well.. no.. just.. probably be careful...") and we played all the normal games you play at bridal showers (who knew?) and I just kept nervously eyeing the gift just in case, then finally, the moment of opening the presents arrived!

For some reason, my present was gloriously last! I just had to contain all my squealiness so as to not adulterate the glorious amount of potential surprise contained within that tupperware. I had whipped up an introductory poem about Home Alone and then she just let the newspaper fall away and then.... hahahaha she jumped back and was liek.. "Where did you get a TARANTULA!!!"

hahaha The room was instant havoc becuase it's a roomful of girls and they instantly demanded that it be taken to the next room. I was just laughing uncontrollably. A tarantual! But it was worth every bit of the anticipation and joy. And I could have done it for no one else but Claire.
Hahaha what a pure, pure soul who I love. Congratulations, Claire!

Ok, that's all. Actually, I have a whole great ream of stories coming up becuase I am in Virginia, and it has been glorious,but that is all for now becuase I know people only ever remember and comment on the last thing in a blog, and I want you guys to remember that. Thanks for reading!

6 comments:

  1. hahaha Krista! The tarantula idea was BRILLIANT!!! At first I thought "no way!" and then "She would", and finally "oh my goodness, she DID!" Thank you for sharing that story, because - in all honesty - I am still laughing! (think of a trampoline...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my land. That is of course the PERFECT gift for Claire, my only other friend on facebook except my very own daughters! Maybe she'll name it after YOU. And that CharlyAnn has bigger, more scared eyes than you did. And Becky is just beautiful. I'm sure she provides an endless stream of entertainment. We're anxiously awaiting a report on the mud run!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every element of that (spider) event was perfect in every way! The people, the event, the telling, the spider, the purse . . . EVERYTHING!

    Periodically Krista and Summer and I will lapse into a pun war on any topic. So I'm inspired to drop a few right here:

    --That must have been a "hairy" situation!
    --I'll bet Claire was upset when she "spied her."
    --That was a nice "web" of lies you told to fool Claire.
    --You went to great "legs" (meaning lengths) to pull that off. (Though in true puns with true pun devotees you don't need to explain the pun).

    Good job Kris!

    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. (but since Jamie will read it, it's good Dad did explain...)(love ya Jame)
    Thank you for posting the pics of my kids! And thanks for shopping at Jay's!! And I can not believe you put that tarantula on your arm!!!!! You had CharlyAnn eyes in that picture!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what the tarantula...? hahahaha. You actually look kinda scared in that picture tho fyi. I enjoyed the puns bro roy hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  6. i wish i could have been there to witness all the screaming! haha!

    ReplyDelete