Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Words?

There are none.


Ok, so there's a few. Here's what happened.

I work in the Grounds Office all day, which means I see the same people every day, which means I never bring my oft seen and always carried lil white purse with me because the chances that someone famous comes into a building that normal, everyday campus people can't even find is pretty slim. Not bringing the purse to work has not been a problem in the last 2 weeks. Today, however, I decided to take a short 30 minute break to watch my friend run the mile at the track meet. So I left work and rode my bike to the track. I parked at Helaman Halls and was walking to the gate when I suddenly saw a protruding jaw and rounded head to my left and nearly lost my breath when I realized I was 5 feet away from the idol of BYU campus and god of the basketball world, JIMMER FREDETTE HIMSELF! Brief eye contact was made and quickly broken ("Let's not stare, let's not stare!") and I rushed into the track to grab brother of said mile running friend. He and I could not act normal. There was no normal walking or breathing or living becuase Jimmer was at the track meet and we were at the track meet and we and Jimmer were at the same track meet at the same time!!! And i was TICKED, because all semester I schemed and prayed and shniked and religiously carried my purse to ensure that if the heavens opened up and I ever ran into Jimmer on campus, I would be prepared. But NO! The moment arrived and i was without!

We followed him to the bleachers, where he nestled himself in a far away hidden corner. I tried to think how i could possibly ride my bike home, get my purse, drive to the meet, not miss the mile, get the picture, and then get back to work in the small time frame I had, but I eventually just decided to call my ever faithful and Jimmer-worshipping roommate Kelcey, who was providencially home and so graciously broke into my house (we don't live together anymore) got the purse, drove to the track, and was there just in time for the mile! We cheered like banshees and one of our friends even won (it was a good omen) and then we spent the next 12 minutes building up courage. (Ok, that's an exaggeration, but I'm a pro at this weird purse thing! It usually does not mean anything to me to approach an essential stranger and ask them to hold a random purse. This was definitely the one I had to muster the most courage for hahaha)

We finally just went right up, and I stuck the purse out. Like so:

Me: "Will you hold this for me?"
Jimmer: (Took it) (contact!!!!) "Ok..."
Me: "Don't worry, there's a great story, but it isn't important, just, the point is, just... .( i was just so amazed and so worried about bombarding him like everyone else there really were no words)
Kelc: (also breathless with excitement) It involves a grandma!"
Me: (Completely tactless, but still just brainless) "She's dead!" (i'm sorry, i'm sorry! Disrespectful, but I wasn't thinking right!)
Jimmer: "Oh, I'm so sorry!" (such a nice guy...)
Krista: "No, it's ok... just... hold...ok.. good... I'll sit here, Kelc.. good, oh friend, you can be in it too!" (That explains the weird beard in the background)

It was a moment of flustered goodness and I ran away like a little freak because I didn't want to be bombarding him too much. hahhaha Turns out I was so hurried I didn't even notice Chris Collingsworth got into our picture too! Golden!

That's all. I finally did it. What an adventure!

(I can almost die--Boston Marathon? Check! Purse Picture with Jimmer? Check! Now I just need to get married in the temple!)

8 comments:

  1. WOW!!!! WAY TO GO KRISTA!!! Nicely done hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can barely type I'm still laughing so hard. That is BY FAR the greatest purse story telling yet. Too bad Kelcey didn't mention you were Christian too. Oh, but maybe he knew that cause you're obviously Mormon having vicarious pictures for the dead.hahahahahaha Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Three-pointer, Krista! From waaay beyond the arc! Swish! Game breaking, breath-taking, picture-snapping, history-making awesome cool moment! Glad you struck up a cool convo with The Jimmer! (just kidding--you said more than I would have, so good job!) By the way, your purse was being held by a future multi-multi millionaire. He sure gets my vote for most amazing college basketball player I've ever seen. Thanks for the good post! Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I laughed so hard the whole time! I can't believe you got it! I feel so happy inside!! Way to go Kris!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad I got to hear that in person! Boston, Jimmer, temple...love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. HAHAHAHAHAHA. That is the BEST STORY I HAVE EVER HEARD! My favorite part:

    Kelc: It involves a grandma!
    Kris: She's dead!
    Jimmer: oh i'm so sorry!

    WHAT THE HECK!? you would tell jimmer that your grandma died... what a doorknob :) haha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Krista...this has nothing to do with Jimmer...but Eric and I are going to do a beginners triathalon!! 225M swim, 5mile bike, 1.25 mile run!! I'm so excited!! Come do it!

    ReplyDelete