Thursday, April 21, 2016

Fruita Marathon & Camping

This weekend we took a quick trip to Fruita, Colorado for a marathon training run! It was such a fun trip and the marathon was a blast. I was running it as a gauge for my 50 training and it felt good and increased my steadily growing excitement!

We drove down Friday night and got to the campsite around 11. Tru was doing pretty good in the pack n play at first but once he realized that I was right there next to him on the ground there was crying and no sleeping and almost another Charina-Joey-Pack-N-Play episode! But I am not as funny as Char and thus made Truman sleep next to me instead of me getting in his pack-n-play haha. I had to hold his hand all night but we did manage to get in a few good hours. 


Billy was going to wake up early and fish for awhile before we had to leave for the race but it was so windy he couldn't do it! So instead we just got ready and drove over to the start. The roads over there gave the Utah grid system a run for its money--the street names were such things as 11 8/10 and 10 and 10 1/2 and Q. So strange! 


It was a beautiful day for a run in the desert and the scenery was supreme. It was overcast all morning and very, very windy at some points, but overall I was quite thrilled and had so much fun!

The pictures don't do it justice, but the landscape was like a mini Grand Canyon/southern Utah/desert Colorado, all the things I love! It was a four corners mash-up! We ran alongside the Colorado River and just weaved in and out of these inlets that were sweet. 

Lots of slickrock and rock in general. 

About 3 miles into the race I was trooping down a hill and suddenly tripped and was tumbling down and doing somersaults over the trail! At one point I saw my knee above my head and thought, "That looks quite scraped!" The people behind me helped me up and I kept running but after a mile or so I kept thinking, "Is that rain or sweat or mist or what that I feel splattering on my leg!?" I looked down and it was blood!! Oh man, it looked like I murdered someone there was so much blood coming out, dripping down my knee and spattering all over the other leg. 

The aid station workers, this guy included, were always rather concerned but I felt fine and since I didn't pay for the race I didn't feel like they could do anything for me without my conscience being troubled. 


Billy and Truman hiked to see me twice during the race and each was blissful! At the halfway point one of the aid station guys told me I was the first woman! I told him I wasn't registered but I must admit that it still quite motivated me cus I thought it'd be pretty cool to win a marathon! 

It was just gorgeous. 

I talked to some people who were doing the double marathon and they gave me some good advice for my race. Also, when I run races (not sure if this is normal or not) but I always name my fellow surrounding runners based on my train of thoughts or various other factors at the time. Well one lady I ran with near the beginning had short hair that curled at the top of her head and was wearing bright blue and yellow striped compression arm sleeves and so I named her Cindy Lou (like Cindy Lou Who) at first but then as we ran on I knew we were on the part of the course called Mary's Loop and so the two names got confused in my head until my name for her evolved into Mary Lou, which then evolved into Mar Ya Lou because the desert landscape was making me think of Holes (you know Zero asks Stanley, "What's Mar Ya Lou" when he sees the boat cus he doesn't know that Y sometimes makes an E sound?) Anyway, I only ran with Mar Ya Lou for a few miles but she'll come into play later. 

I felt strong the whole time and finished well and I was the first woman. The race people came up to figure out my number and stuff so they could announce the winner and they looked offended when I told them I hadn't registered even though I assured them I didn't eat any of their snacks or accept their offers for first aid assistance haha. Oh well. Registration was $100 and prize money was $100 so we would've just traded money. 

I ran my fastest trail marathon to this point and had a blast and only lost a few drips of blood. 


After I came we hung around until the registered woman winner came in and guess who it was? Mar Ya Lou of course! And guess what they announced her real live name as!? Mary!!! hahah I laughed my head off. My made up names are never actually their real names (or I guess I don't know usually. Maybe I am really good at making up people's names).

Billy and Truman were the very best supporters and always gave me a huge burst of energy and endurance. It was so fun to see them and Billy probably hiked a good 5 miles total trekking through the desert to see me. What precious people! 


The blood. Looking at it now I think I made it sound worse than it actually was. Which is good cus it wasn't actually that bad. 


We had planned to stay at the lake and fish but it was so windy and cold we decided to just go home. We reported a drunk driver on the way home, which was freaky cus that guy almost crashed right into oncoming traffic, so I'm glad we called! Hopefully they got him. We made it home fine and have since enjoyed a lovely week. 


Billy finished this rock wall and it turned out great!




That's all for now. On to more miles and more rock walls!

5 comments:

  1. OHHH Kris! I forgot how much I love your writing and storytelling abilities. Doesn't surprise me one bit that you totally dominated the marathon. So proud of you. You've got the best little cheering crowd out there. How fun for all three of you to be together:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahah! so much laughter! hahah! Those are classic good stories!!!! hahahahah!! AND YOU CAN WIN IT!!! even without technically winning it! You are a beast! Way to run, Kris! With a bloody leg!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Charina and Chelsea....I love the stories so much and glad I got the in person version afterwards. But oooohh, I just love reading a good Krista report! By the time Billy's done with that neighborhood he's gonna be responsible for holding back an entire mountain!

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha. Mary Ya Lou. How do you even remember such details from books? Ha. I am sad that I will miss your 50 miler! You are going to beast it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woohoo!!! You go girl! You're such an inspiration! If I ever run a marathon someday, it will be because of you! You were after all, the person who convinced me to run my first 10k and then half. You're the best. And this post is the best. I toooootally name my fellow runners too haha! Also, glad your knee wasn't as bad as it looks!

    ReplyDelete