Thursday, January 27, 2011

dontfeelobligatedtoreadthisunlessyouhaveapassionforbasketballequivalenttotheoneburninginmysoulrightnow!

Last night marked one of the most incredible nights of basketball I have ever witnessed.

Better than UNC winning the NCAA tournament when I was however old to first spark my love for college basketball.

Better than Bryce Velasquez.

Better than Garrett Fiddler.

Better than Tyler Velasquez.

Seriously. Here's some stats:

Of the 14 posts on my facebook home page, 11 of them made some reference to BYU Basketball.
(that's pretty good, considering 14 out of 14 would usually be about whoever made the post.)

I got 3 emails from BYU Athletics giving me updates on how many student seats were still available and when to come to ensure I could obtain one. (People started going for it 7:00 am Tuesday morning, last I heard)

Every seat (and probably more) of the 22700 seat Marriot Center was filled.

BYU also accommodated students in the ballroom (filled to capacity) the Terrace (likewise) the JKB, the Marb, the JSB, and who knows where else since we couldn't fit in the Marriot Center.

And why? And WHY? Here are some more stats. My accuracy may not reach perfection becuase these are all from memory of things I've seen or read, but they're pretty darn close and pretty darn AMAZING:

Before the game: BYU: #9 SDSU: #4

BYU: 71 SDSU: 58

SDSU was one of 2 undefeated teams and BYU BEAT THEM. We handed them their first loss in 20 games, their first road loss in the last 8, and their first loss in the conference from their streak of 10. But the important part is, it was their first loss!

JIMMER FREDETTE: FORTY THREE POINTS!
He made, as always, some impressive 3s, the kind where you jump up and know it just can't go in but then it does and oh my gosh oh my gosh oh my gosh
I think he scored something like 18 points in a row in the first half! What? Who does that?
I think he only missed one free throw but shot like a billion because he's feisty and the Aztecs couldn't help but foul him
With 13 minutes left in the second half, we had 52 points. CBS put up a little box that accounted for the points as such:
Fredette: 34 points
Davies: 14 points
Rest of Team: 4 points

It. Was. Insane.

And speaking of Davies, every article I've read about it gives him like a one sentence shout out at the end becuase Jimmer was just incredible, but woof, Davies! He was awesome! I don't know what his totals came out to, but he scored hard the whole game!

Also, there was one beautiful stretch of time when the shot clock was winding down and Jimmer went up for this unbelievable 3 (and made it of course) and then shortly thereafter Jackson stole the ball (as always) drove to the basket and DUNKED IT. If I were CJ I would have been crying. The Aztecs were history at that point.

Also, the big news is Kevin Durant, number 1 scorer in the NBA, tweeted this to the world:
"Jimmer Fredette is the best scorer in the world"

Our Jimmer! crazy!

Seriously. Everything I've read about it since has left me breathless. It was phenomenal.

5 comments:

  1. My reaction to your post...I am breathless! I was awoken around midnight last night and wondered how the game went so I got on the computer and was SORE AMAZED!!!! Now you know how we mere mortal runners feel when we watch Kristar Roydette!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehehehhee...we watched the game, DUH, and I DID cry when Jackson had that dunk!!! And the whole time when they showed crowd shots I just kept thinking, KRISTA IS THERE!!! (you were there, right? I can't tell from the post quite) It was SO exciting!! WE LOVED IT!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH man, I would've paid HUGE money to be at that game. Instead we watched it where the folks were sleeping so I couldn't even yell! haha. But it was sooooo good.

    I myself was super impressed with Davies. I was worried he'd get in foul trouble (Noah too) and then Kawhi Lenord would walk all over us. Not the case! Crashing the boards was huge.

    Jimmer is amazing. I can't even believe it. I'm rootin' for him to get 50 points in one game.

    GO COUGS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL. that was great. i'm not sure if you are more in line to be married to jimmer or if ladon is. i tell ya, ladon is always searching for something to read about jimmer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here is major evidence of unethical behavior by the BYU Cheaters, ah, I mean BYU Cougars: When their performance enhancing drugs wore off after the SDSU game, they couldn't even beat New Mexico! Oh well, we'll take 'em when they come to Air Force next week.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete