Saturday, August 2, 2014

Au-gust it's my turn 2: Timp!

We've been wanting to hike Timp for a long time, but most Saturdays are too busy, until Billy came up with the brilliant idea to hike it at night and camp on the mountain! That's what we did last night. 

We left on time and were pumped for a joyous adventure with what weather.com said would involve 0% precipitation, only to arrive at the parking lot to a downpour. We had no rain gear or even coats, so we ended up going back home, grabbing coats, and getting back just in time for the rain to pass.

Billy checking out the storm

As we started hiking, I couldn't see anything cus Billy's pack was huge and blocking the whole trail. At one point he jumped back with a yelp and was startled and my first thought was "badger!!" 

But it was a huge moose, and it just came crashing out of the bushes!!We got a good look at it, but it was hiding too good for the camera to catch. But it was awesome!


We hiked into the night, which was beautiful. 


We made it to the lake (maybe 2 miles under the summit?) in about 3 hours, so it was like 10 or so by then. We were trying out our backpacking stove for the first time and it was amazing! Billy's favorite part of the trip, so he says.  


brats for dinner!

We slept under the stars. Definitely my favorite part of the trip. It was so beautiful. Hikers were hiking past all night cus it's a thing to hike in the night and make it to the top for sunrise, but I was grateful that they woke me up now and then because it was a beautiful place and the stars were incredible. 

And we woke up to the sunrise!


Made sausages for breakfast on the stove, which Billy of course loved. It was quite a cool little invention. 


Then hiked the rest of the way to the top. I could not believe how many people were on the mountain! Crazy!


this picture is cool mostly because it's a birds-eye view of all the canyons and trails Billy and I run. Such fondness for those trails!

Cool trail shot, with surprisingly few people on it. 

the lake we slept near

horrible, hilarious picture!

the shack on top. no donuts there. 

the usual outfits we are always wearing on such adventures

wildflower field and "the glacier", which people were still sliding down, the crazies

on the way down. Also on the way down, we ran into Rob who was taking his young men up! We found out the night before we would be on the mountain at the same time, so we were so excited to run into them.

Another on the way down. It was kinda rough. But fun! And note the long braid I have!

I do believe this trip was exactly what I needed to pick me up in what has been a rather rough time. It was so fun and so beautiful!



6 comments:

  1. What a great adventure! I like Billy's stove but I like the scenery better. SO beautiful! So glad you made it to the top! Who knew there was a hut on the top!

    ReplyDelete
  2. braid! i've never seen your hair like that haha. and I am sad for the lack of donuts. If ever I were to climb a mountain, it would be one with donuts on top. Or ice cream. I would do ice cream too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HOLY BEAUTIFUL!! What a gorgeous hike! and your hair too. That is beautiful too. and i really love that horrible and hilarious picture. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What? You didn't tell us that you saw a moose!! That's joyous. We'll have to try out that stove with you guys sometime! Brawts

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, nice jacket!! And sweet pictures. That's awesome. Maybe if you get tired of Morinda and I get tired of grad school we can drop out and start a donut shop and make "Universe Famous Donuts". I think we'd have as much claim for that title as Pikes Peak did for theirs.

    ReplyDelete